hello darlings! well isn’t this luggage a bit extra, hey?! this used to be ME when I travelled – couldn’t go anywhere without a full suitcase (or two) full of every outfit combination I could come up with. I had fantasies that I would wear clothes I never wore at home..& then of course I’d return from my trip, with more than half of my luggage untouched & left feeling rejected (poor things!).
but now I like to think I have mastered the art of travelling light & pack only the essentials for my trips 💁🏻 it makes my travels so much more enjoyable; no more breaking my back lugging my suitcases in & out of airports, up & down metro stairs, rolling over cobblestones (europe, anyone?) and makes getting ready each day a total breeze because I’m not schlepping through every item I’ve owned since the 90’s to find something to wear.
so! that being said, let me share my top tips for being a total minimalist when packing for an overseas trip (or even just a weekender!) while still having EVERYTHING you need:
1. Use a packing list – there are so many great packing lists online. to find one perfect for your destination, check out these ones here on herpackinglist.com
2. It’s true what they say – we wear 20% of our wardrobe, 80% of the time. REMEMBER this rule when packing. Identify the 20% you wear on rotation, and pack those items. You know they are winning combos for you, AND that you will wear them.
3. Choose a colour theme for your clothes so they all mix & match together. Pinterest have so many amazing capsule wardrobes sorted by colour schemes, that show case how to mix 12 items into 20+ outfit combinations. I’ve done a gorgeous budget travel wardrobe capsule here that has over 30+ outfits combos, and all pieces are under $100. If you stick to a colour theme, you’ll get so many more outfits while keeping your luggage light. My favourite colour palette for summer is white, blush, light grey, floral prints & denim. For winter, I mix black, grey, stripes & denim with some glam necklaces/accessories.
4. Use makeup & skincare samples – you know all those beauty samples you get throughout the year? well store those babies up & take them with you instead of packing large bottles & jars. you’ll get to try out new products on the go & they’re so itty bitty you’ll hardly notice them in your bag! If you’re going on a longer trip, I’d still recommend taking samples & then purchasing new skincare/beauty products while you’re away. you’ll get to come home with travel ‘souvenirs’ that are saaaa much better than a magnet for the fridge or a cowboy hat you’ll never wear again.
5. Only half-fill your suitcase – you’ll never regret this one! Your suitcase will be lighter to carry, it forces you to cull when packing & then you have plenty of space for SHOPPING – without getting slapped with all those overweight luggage fees. ugh. the worst way to end a holiday.
6. remember you can wash as you go – not exactly a packing tip, but don’t forget you can always wash while you’re away. all you need is a sink & a little laundry detergent. so you won’t need a new outfit for every day (chances are no one knows you at your holiday destination so it’s no crime to recycle outfits!) just wash once a week & you’re good to go!
7. Lastly, get some packing cubes! these bad boys are life. they save me every time I travel & now I wouldn’t even do a wkend away without them…they keeps your clothes organised – i use the small ones for my knickers, bras & bikinis, the medium size for all my tops and the largest one for skirts, shorts, jeans & dresses. it saves so much time getting dressed because you know exactly where everything is, and if you’re travelling from one city to another & constantly packing/unpacking, then you will love how easy these packing cubes make it every. single. time.
hope these tips help you Huns…enjoy your travels my darlings!